[ale] Etherreal and switches

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Sep 28 10:08:58 EDT 2006

I want to configure one Linux box to do packet capturing for out small
network.

It is simple and here is what it looks like:

[ Router ]

[ Cisco 2900 XL]
Servers:     | p24
          [ Cisco 2900 XL ]
Devel:       |         |
   [ Generic Switch] [ Generic Switch ]
     Test              Demo

We have a router that goes to Internet.  Under that router
we have 2900XL.  That is for various clients and servers.  There
is an uplink going to another 2900XL and that is for the LAB.
There are 2 uplinks on that going to a cheap switch for DEMO
equipment and a cheap switch for TEST equipment.

On the first switch I guess I need to setup port 23 as a SPAN port and
attach the linux box to it.  How can I make sure I get all the traffic
that is passing on the 2nd XL?  Not all of that traffic will be sent
upstream to the first XL.  As far as the cheap switches go I do not see
a way to see all their traffic since they do not have span port support.

Chris