[ale] RHEL on PowerEdge servers from dell outlet

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Wed Sep 27 09:09:37 EDT 2006

We use Dell for Windoze and Linux.  I really don't have much kick about
the PowerEdge server hardware itself.  I don't have any experience with
the Dell Outlet.

One Caveat - While running RHEL (and Fedora Core) on PowerEdge seems
fine Dell's support for Linux (below Gold level [$$$]) sucks wind.  On
more than one occasion they've told me to boot from Windows to solve a
problem on a Linux installed server.  It seems much to me that the Linux
group you get really doesn't know that much about Linux.  Haven't gone
to Gold level so don't know if it is truly better.  I guess if it were
up to me to make the choice I might look for another PC vendor that
didn't have such Windoze tunnel vision.