[ale] Scare tactics

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Sep 27 08:31:15 EDT 2006

Billy049 wrote:
> Recently I have noticed news items saying the internet bad guys are now
> targeting home users who need a security suite to protect them.  It
> seems firewall programs no longer support some of the older Windowses.
> Upgrade this, buy that, argh.  Oh yeah, and they're saying Firefox has
> lately had more vulnerabilities that the other guys products.
>
> Ok, so they have my attention now and they are scaring me towards using
> Linux for my online work.  I hope some can reassure me that this move
> will greatly increase my home computer's security.

You will definitely reduce your chance of contracting a virus by moving
off of a Windows environment.

 From windows XP and back (98,95,ME), windows, by default runs the user
as the super user.  XP, you must explicitly change this.

If you go the Linux route, don't assume you're perfectly safe.  You
should still run a firewall and DON'T login as root unless you are doing
administrative/system stuff.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin