[ale] New Mailing List initiatives for ALE

Paul Cartwright paulc at blackbirdpros.com
Tue Sep 26 18:36:13 EDT 2006

Jerald Sheets wrote:

> ** The Problem **
>
> After much discussion, informal polling, email back and forth and
> various generic conversation, Those of us charged with the maintenance,
> care, and feeding of the ALE mailing list(s) will be bringing about some
> changes in the near future.  Please allow me to discourse below:

I was on a semi-moderated list, where the moderators slapped people with
smelly fish for going too far OT, and called threads A DEAD HORSE, NO
MORE DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

the nice part about the fish was, the moderator reply started with "
don't feel singled out, this is a template reply.." and it quoted the
rules of the list about going OT.. the DEAD HORSE rule kept topics from
going on...and on... and away from THE TOPIC ( which was Thebat! email
product). there was also a TB-OT for Off-topic banter.
Of courser that would require some actual rules being created, but that
will hapen regardless.
so, there's my 1.5 cents

--
Paul Cartwright