[ale] recommended personal DSL provider for Alpharetta ?

Tom Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Sun Sep 24 22:04:46 EDT 2006

On 09/24/2006 03:34:42 PM, James Sumners wrote:
<<snip>>
> In short, if you don't mind dealing with the local telco, or paying
> the premium to not do so, and you need dedicated bandwith, go with
> DSL. If you just want a high speed connection and want to save some
> money, cable is probably the way to go. VoIP is a lot cheaper than
> POTS (plain old telephone service), and it is easiest to get it with
> cable for the sole reason that you don't have to deal with the local
> telco.

As usual, YMMV, and probably will. I'm not in Georgia, so some
influences are different. However, my daughter had lousy cell service
at her condo, so got VOIP with the cable vision/internet to suppliment
her cell phone.  To put it mildly, her VOIP service sucked royally, and
the cable for the first year was pretty flakey.

<sigh> None of the local monopolies really supplies the kind of service
that they could/can if they so chose. And the way regulatory oversight
is going, I don't see much that the customer can do about it except
bitch in the dark. Or be lucky and not need customer service.

YMMV of course.