[ale] Window Managers for X

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 12:55:14 EDT 2006

Minus the taskbar, E16 or Sawfish (http://sawmill.sf.net) is the
closest thing to what you want. After that, I would say XFCE. Of
course, you can run GNOME and ditch Metacity in favor of E, Sawfish,
or whatever but you will loose a lot of the integration that Metacity
has with the GNOME desktop.

I really think E16 is the best option if all you want is a window
manager and not a desktop environment. But it can be a pain to work
with (e.g. creating new menu entries every time you install something)
if you just want to use your machine. But if you want a desktop
environment, I like GNOME. I wouldn't mind some of the bloat being
trimmed, but it is getting better with each release. I just don't get
along with KDE; I particularly hate the gigantic dock that is as ugly
as sin.