[ale] Fastest OS for Samba + long filenames

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Sun Sep 10 09:54:39 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 06 September 2006 10:27 am, runman wrote:
> Has anyone done any benchmarking on what the fastest OS is
> with regards to running Samba ?  I have heard that Linux is
> faster then any of the BSD's but I am still trying to run
> down some concrete evidence of this.

Noticed this never got a reply (that I saw) and I'm curious too.

My limited observations on our tiny home LAN is that the cable being used
makes a huge difference. Perhaps indicating I need a cable tester, as all
but a couple of the short ones are home made.

> Also - just how can one set up Samba to take care of long
> filenames ?  I have tried the usual params but I still get
> errors when copying long filenames to Samba from Windows
> 2000.

How long is "long"? Have never had any problem, but 98 chairactors is the
longest filename I'm sure was moved via Samba.
--
William