[ale] Unicode character entry in Edgy (Was: Re: Ubuntu Edgy? Anyone?)

fd0man™—The Magical Floppy Man fd0man at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 02:44:22 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 03:16 +0000, James P. Kinney III wrote:

> Jeez... At least play with it :)
>
> ???? ?
> That should mess up the mutt users :)
>
> Hmm. Can't seem to get the ctl-shift sequence to work right with
> anything that starts with a leading "0" (zero). It puts it in as a ")"
> but then still inserts the correct code. Must be a pango bug.
>
> For those dying to know the code sequences:
>
> http://www.unicode.org/charts/

Remove all leading zeros before inputting the code, and ye shall be
fine.  :-P

Though, in the new system (with the Control+Shift+u combination), you
can preserve the leading 0 and it works just fine.  I suppose that the
new system has its advantages... :-)

Most of the characters I tend to use are math-oriented or punctuational
and not on the International keyboard.  The old behavior seems to be by
design, IIRC, but I do not have the links handy to the information at
the moment.

It also helps in OpenOffice.org when working on papers and the like,
because some of the automatic heuristics do not work (such as placing an
en dash where I wanted an em dash, or not placing an em or en dash at
all because on one side there is a non-letter...).  Also, it helps to
override the automatic choice of quotation mark sometimes, simply
because I am smarter than the program!  :-)

    ? Mike

--
The fd0man??The Magical Floppy Man!
fd0man at gmail.com or mike at trausch.us ? http://trausch.us/