[ale] Unicode character entry in Edgy (Was: Re: Ubuntu Edgy? Anyone?)

fd0man™—The Magical Floppy Man fd0man at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 13:13:08 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 12:48 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> On Fri September 8 2006 12:24 pm, fd0man??The Magical Floppy Man wrote:
> > For example, in Dapper, if you pressed Ctrl+Shift+2122 (and then
> > released Ctrl+Shift), you would get the Trademark mark.
> >  Ctrl+Shift+3c0 (that is a zero) is the Greek small letter "pi" that
> > is commonly used in mathematics.  Ctrl+Shift+201C is open quote,
> > 201D is close quote.  In Edgy, if I attempt to type the Trademark
> > mark, I get nothing.  (Also, in Dapper, when you typed the unicode
> > Code Point number, it would show up as you type it, usually with an
> > underline to show that you were actually entering a Unicode
> > character and not something directly into the application.)
>
> are you talking as if you are typing in an email client compose
> message, like evolution or Kmail?

Any application - including the terminal (both xterm and
gnome-terminal).  It should work system wide, as it did in Dapper.  I
have used it in GAIM, Firefox, Evolution, gnome-terminal, xterm,
python's interpreter, emacs...

> doesn't it depend on the font you are using?
> in my Kubuntu 6.06 in Kmail, when I type CTRL-SHFT-21 I get the "!"
> exclamation point.

That is because Unicode character 21 is the "!" character.  ;-)  The
first 127 code points match with ASCII, so the expected ASCII characters
should be created.  The code point entry is in hexadecimal.

> in Edgy, kmail does nothing when I type CTRL-SHFT-2122
> Evolution also does nothing.

That would be my problem.  The system does not seem to permit Unicode
entry directly anymore.  :-/

I just put in a bug about it (https://launchpad.net/bugs/59543) because
it seems like it would be a bug.  An example:  my e-mail signature below
was typed into Evolution under Dapper.  I would not be able to type
that, now, though.  The TM and em dash cannot be entered, and those
characters are not present on the international keyboard.  The
International keyboard does save me from entering a lot though (it would
be really annoying to have to type r?sum? by entering the Unicode code
points for ?... though on Windows you have to do something similar,
using ALT+Windows Char Code or (ALT)+(+)+(Unicode code point) with a
registry hack...

    -- Mike

--
The fd0man??The Magical Floppy Man!