[ale] Trustix Secure Linux

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Wed Sep 6 12:04:03 EDT 2006

Brian Pitts wrote:
> When I last played with Gentoo my only computer was a 500mhz PIII with
> 256mb of RAM. Attempting a stage 2 install was a mistake that left me
> with a (probably unfair) negative impression.
>
> -Brian
Don't get me wrong; it's not for everybody.

For what it's worth, Stage 1 and Stage 2 installs are deprecated
(although still possible in some cases).  Your PIII/500 would have been
at the lower range of "comfortable." (I've put it on everything from a
Pentium/60 to a dual-core AMD64 and most everything in between).  Once
I've got an instance up and running, I really don't pay a whole lot of
attention to distro-specific issues anymore other than the exact
command(s) I use to manage packages, but even that's not a lot different
than apt-get, yum, yast, or up2date.

Living with Gentoo is improved if you institutionalize it a bit - a
standing distcc farm and making your own pre-built portable system
images help.