[ale] when is a zip file not a zip file

Robert Reese ale at sixit.com
Wed Sep 6 03:13:31 EDT 2006

On 9/5/2006 at 10:34 PM Jeff Hubbs wrote:

>Windows users know not of what they do.  You need unrar.

>Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
>>
>> My son-in-law just sent me some pix of my new grandson -- born on
>> Saturday morning.  He told me he zipped them on a Winbloze box before
>> attaching them to an email.
>>
>> The email has this attachment:  New Folder.rar

Actually, smart son-in-law.  Kudos to him, as relatively few windows users now about it and fewer use it.  Few archive programs compress a .jpg file much, and zip does it extremely poorly.  Rarlabs <http://www.rarlabs.com/> puts out WinRAR, which does a better job compressing photos than many other programs. WinRAR is the program he likely used, and it's about the best archive software available for windows; otherwise I wouldn't have been paid for or been using it for these past some-odd years.  You'll find both the free unrar program for your distro at rarlab's website, and a paid version of rar 3.60 for linux, both of which are CL.  A gui frontend is available for rar by gnochive <http://gnochive.sourceforge.net/index.html>.  Quite frankly, I haven't found much that winrar can't handle on a windows system, so unrar should be a pretty good tool for your arsenal.

Cheers,
Robert Reese~