[ale] when is a zip file not a zip file

Sean Kilpatrick drifter at oppositelock.org
Tue Sep 5 23:44:38 EDT 2006

On Tuesday 05 September 2006 22:34, Jeff Hubbs wrote:

| Windows users know not of what they do. ?You need unrar.

Thanks for the tip.
Only three problems:
1.  No such program or man page on this machine
2.  No such program listed in any of the repos I normally access via
    <yum install unrar>

3.  So, wanting to get somewhere, I copied the *.rar file to a thumb
drive and carried it upstairs to my wife's Mac. It couldn't handle
the file either -- but at least it knew where to go to update its
StuffIt program to unpack the damn thing. So we downloaded the update,
installed it and unpacked the the archive.  But noticed on accessing the
thumb drive that an unknown file had appeared <throbber.png>.  I have
no idea where this little goodie came from so I deleted it on the spot.
Googled the file and apparently it is some sort of Red Hat image. How
could it have suddenly appeared on my thumb drive?  It wasn't there
before.

Sean