[ale] Parallel Port Hunting

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Sun Sep 3 22:26:54 EDT 2006

Dow -

Thanks for the note.

All good points. I'll do a bit of digging, but I've lost track of the
history and exactly when I started having problems with exactly which
printer.

I "seem to have a failure of communications here" between CUPS and the
printer's port. I need to retry the USB-connected Epson 740i to really
know where I stand.

I first noticed problems configuring an Epson 1280 to run under CUPS,
going between USB and parallel port. The printer worked, but I was looking
for better color. I don't recall if I had any failures at that point.

To improve the color matching I decided to try Gutenprint. I don't know
for sure if I was reaching this printer just before my 'make install' on
gutenprint, but it doesn't work now on USB or parallel. I played around
at that point with interface selection, but don't recall adding any apps.

Previously the old(!) Okipage-4W worked fine on the parallel interface,
but now I can't get any output through it, so I've trashed _something_ in
the setup.

As I say, all these are happy when I boot WinXP and print to them. (Good
color quality, too -- #$%^&!@@!!)

I'll go back through the old (pre-CUPS) 'Printintg-HOWTO' and work my
way forward. That should unclog the parallel port at least.

As always, TIA for any leads or things to try.

 - Mills