[ale] Internet access under Linux

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Sat Sep 2 06:03:14 EDT 2006

Christopher Fowler wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 18:55 -0700, Ken Arromdee wrote:
>
>> Right now I'm using dialup.  It's about time to move on.  What DSL or other
>> types of providers are good for Linux users?  (I really would rather not
>> have someone come to my home to install and refuse to do so unless I have a
>> Windows machine up, refuse to accept problem reports that aren't on Windows
>> machines, require Windows-only hardware, etc.)  Are there any providers in
>> the Norcross area anyone can recommend?
>>

> Rules out BellSouth....

The last time my BS DSL circuit burped, I called and talked with a
fellow in India named "Thomas".  Right.  Raj or Patel maybe but not
Thomas.  But that's not the  point, when he asked what version of
Windows I was running and I told him Linux he didn't even flinch. He
asked me if I had more than one system on a network.  Since I'm not
paying for the "right" to do so I hesitated but finally told him yes.
He then asked if I could connect to another system on the network, when
I said yes, he immediately had me log into the Westell modem and look at
the settings.  I was impressed, I usually have to boot up a Windows box
to satisfy the BS person.  Then of course, he/she asks me to reboot.
Figure that.  I know, they're just going down a list.

Jim.