[ale] Losing stability

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Oct 31 09:20:53 EST 2006

I had a system that would sporadically reboot and sometimes lock up.
It had 2 drives in it.  One was good and one was bad a year before.  I
installed a new drive and copied everything over a year before this
system starting failing.

I made a mistake....

I forgot to move swap from the bad drive.  Eventually when the drive
really starting failing the swap was failing too.  This made the machine
behave badly.

As I said before I typically toss a machine behaving badly.  I tore down
the computer and got all my data off the good drive.  After all this
tear down I finally figured out what was really wrong.  Not a big loss.
The FDD was bad.  The CD-R and CD-RW had finally failed on me earlier.
I could not do much with this machine other than use it as a simple
workstation.  I threw it away and now use my laptop at my desk when I
ever go into the office.

If I had realized that the issue of swap on the bad drive needed to be
fixed I might still have that junker and be using it.  Can't cry over
spilled milk.  It was a cheap Ginstar box anyway.