[ale] Losing stability

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Oct 30 09:37:51 EST 2006

I've written off older hardware because I've lost old hardware recently.
It just seems like PC these days aren't able to go much past 3 or 4
years.  A troubling fact.

Could be the following:

1.  Bad CD drive (Remove it)
2.  Bad hard drive (Try a new one)

I had a machine behave like this and the conclusion was that it was a
bad disk.  The problem was that the disk holding swap was bad and when
the drive kept retrying the system would appear to "hang".  Sometimes
even reboot.  One idea is to not use swap and force everything in
memory.  Not sure if 512mb is enough these days with GNOME and other
crap running.