[ale] Question: What does "Fixating" mean for burning cd?

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 14:41:03 EDT 2006

>From http://www.osta.org/technology/cdqa2.htm :
"Fixation is the process of completing a CD-R or CD-RW disc session by
writing Lead-In (table of contents) and Lead-Out information. Once a
disc is fixated it can then be played back in CD and DVD-ROM drives
and recorders and consumer electronics devices compatible with the
particular disc type and format. It is also possible to record
additional information later to create a multisession disc.
Finalization, on the other hand, completely closes the disc so no
further material can be added."

In other words, fixation closes the disc so that no more data can be
written to it. Fixation adds the "Lead-Out" information to the disc.

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/

CH:D 59