[ale] Question: What does "Fixating" mean for burning cd?

tom tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Fri Oct 27 10:52:40 EDT 2006

I grabbed the cd images of Fedora Core 6 yesterday, and I'm happily
burning my physical cd's now. And a question came to mind which I'm not
quite sure how to google (yet), so I will also ask the collective wisdom
of this list.

When burning the cd, cdrecord will announce as the last step it is
"fixating" the disk. What the heck is physically happening during this
process? The extent of my understanding of the process is that the image
file is being placed on the cd medium by melting the bit pattern of the
image into a spiral track on the cd. The image file already contains
directory information, so what is happening during "fixating"??