[ale] if 'dpkg' is removed, will this entirely disable all up-dating/grading & apt-getfunctions?

Courtney Thomas courtneycthomas at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 23 23:23:58 EDT 2006

James,

I got kernel-image-2.6.17-2-k7 running. Thank you.

Coupla quick ones:

    I assume now that to compile a new kernel I must download the source
since I
    installed a kernel image. Where is your preferred site(s) for such
source  ?

    How is the new source setup so that a newly compiled kernel will not be
    interfered with by the original kernel-image, and vice-versa, of course
?

    This thing comes with so much baggage I'm disallowed from even settin'
up a
    NIC like so, ifconfig 192.168.x.y eth0 up. It finds no eth0, though that
is my NIC.

Anyway, apparently I need to modify the kernel so that my NIC is functional
hence
the above questions.

Appreciatively,
Courtney