[ale] if 'dpkg' is removed, will this entirely disable all up-dating/grading & apt-getfunctions ?

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 07:53:14 EDT 2006

Yes, synaptic is just another frontend for dpkg. Instead of upgrading
dpkg along with other things, try `apt-get install dpkg`. That should
replace dpkg without breaking the system (further).

I'm not really sure what has happened during your upgrade, but it
isn't good. I'm ready to say that you should start over and install
from a Sarge CD.