[ale] Fw: HOW2 resolve aptitude conflict ? <---- ATTN: James Sumners

Courtney Thomas courtneycthomas at bellsouth.net
Sat Oct 21 09:58:57 EDT 2006

James,

Thank you for your reply.

As I'm sure you can tell, I'm awkwardly groping toward Debian literacy and
am now
quite befuddled at the murky descriptions of 'foolin' with Debian'.  :-)

Anyway, to attempt more clarity on my current circumstance.....

I was runnin' 2.4.17 and want to upgrade to Sarge, which I've belatedly
learned
is, apparently, capable of runnin' under 2.4.27 as well as 2.6x. I've been
told
that it would be best at this point to stay with 2.4.27 rather than tryin'
to go 2.6.x.

So, at this point I'm plannin' on installing 2.4.27 by means of:

    aptitude install kernel-image-2.4.27-2-k7

which produced the errors to which you referred.

I should also add that I've, probably mistakenly, already
switched to "sarge" in my sources.list and:

    apt-get update
    apt-get -u dist-upgrade

but....have not installed an appropriate 'new' kernel

Now, given your fuller understanding, that "stable" is what
I'm after:

1 - since I did the dist-upgrade to 'sarge' while runnin' 2.4.17,
     where am I now, regarding what is currently installed  ?

2 - what do you recommend to resolve the libc6/newKernel
     need, given that I've already done a sarge dist-upgrade  ?

I apologize for the length of this msg but hopefully this will
permit clarity for your effort to bail-me-out  :-)

Most appreciatively,

Courtney