[ale] Ubuntu for developers?

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri Oct 20 10:22:37 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 09:13 -0500, KingBahamut wrote:
> Size of an installation medium cannot be a basis for what "it has and
> doesnt have", specially regarding a Repository driven Distro like
> ubuntu. If its not on the CD , its very easily accessible via gnome-
> app-install (that cool little add/remove programs bit in Gnome), or
> synaptic. one reason I always liked debian over FC was by fact of
> matter that it "didnt" install all that stuff at the install phase,
> and let me install it later without a whole lot of hassle.

This only sucks when you have slow or no internet connection at time of
install.  That problem for me is slowing going away as more and more
people get high speed.

Today I have 2 computers to load.  I will load Ubuntu and XP on both.
With the intention they use Ubuntu mostly and XP only for what they
can't in Ubuntu.  After I load from CD what other items should I
immediately load.  I want them to be able to play music and movies.  I
will load Google Earth.

This might be a good start:  http://tinyurl.com/lwbwn