[ale] HOW2 link a partition to another disk's partition ?

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 19 21:18:24 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 20:20 -0500, Courtney Thomas wrote:
> Randal,
>
> Thank you for your reply...
>
> I know umounting will let me apparently do what I'm seeking, but only
> apparently, in that... I get the link but lose the diskspace.
>
> What I'm tryin' to do, though am clearly not bein' clear  :-) is:
>
> 1-NOT lose the empty space on /drive1/home when I delete home, i.e.
> I want to recapture the space on drive1 when I delete /home

Ahhh, that wasn't entirely clear in your earlier email.  What you need
to do, now that you have move the contents of /drive1/home/* elsewhere,
is to now remove the directory /drive1/home and then softlink (ln
-s) /drive2/home to /drive1/home like this:

   rmdir /drive1/home
   ln -s /drive2/home /drive1/

This assumes that /drive1 and /drive2 are the mounted file systems and
that "home" is a directory on each of those file systems.

hth,

-Jim P.