[ale] [Slightly OT] Emacs question.

Björn Gustafsson bg-ale at bjorng.net
Wed Oct 18 09:56:42 EDT 2006

Not only is Emacs available for other UN*Xes (and other OSes), it
actually predates Linux by a number of years.  I first used it on the
original sparc boxes and some other workstations about 20 years ago,
and it was already on version 18 at that time.

It's the original IDE: in fact, it almost integrates the whole
operating system.  :)  The advantage it offers is to provide a single
unified(-ish) interface to everything you do.  It's not just that you
can open multiple files in the same address space, you can open a
shell, a (lame) browser, help system, compiler, debugger, etc, etc.

On 10/18/06, Jeff Lightner <jlightner at water.com> wrote:
> Actually it is on topic.  Personally I never load emacs anywhere (no
> matter how much developers beg) but it is certainly a Unix/Linux utility
> available in the world.
> FYI:  It is available for Unix (in fact one system I used to work on the
> vendor loaded emacs and taught me to use it for doing customizations of
> their code) and that was back in the early 90s.
>
> The main benefit most developers tell me about when they want it is
> "multiple windows" but since we can open multiple PuTTY or xterms this
> has never seemed a good selling point to me.

Bj?rn Gustafsson