[ale] Network Vendor String

Jeffery Tillotson ale at jeffx.com
Sat Oct 14 18:47:10 EDT 2006

Robert L. Harris wrote:

>Have you looked at lshw btw?
>

>Thus spake ale at jeffx.com (ale at jeffx.com):

Thanks for everyone who responded to my request.  I could respond to
each one but that would just consume a more bandwidth.

As far as the lspci goes,...um,..my bad.  As soon as I read the response
I was a little embarrassed I asked the question.  I guess I thought it
was supposed to be much harder and I looked passed the most obvious
answer.  I guess I have to apply the KISS principle a little more often.

The script from Christopher Fowler was pretty handy.  I have it stored
in my "handy" folder from the ale mailing list.

I looked at lshw, it was one of the top matches in several of my Google
searches.  However, because I was trying to run this script on a lot of
servers and I didn't want to install new files, I didn't think it would
be useful.  After you recommendation I went back and read the README
file a little more, it has a build static option.  It generates all the
information I need so I think I am going to install lshw and write a
perl script to present the output in a more relevant format.

One thing to mention about lshw, it has hung to an uninterruptable sleep
state on one of my servers.  I think it comes when trying to get info
about the CDROM but I am not sure yet.

Again, thanks to everyone who responded with suggestions to my
question.  I am also sorry that I asked a question I already knew the
answer to.

Regards,
Jeff