[ale] My Linux experience, so far

Paul Boren pmboren at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 09:29:51 EDT 2006

> On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 18:07 -0400, Billy049 wrote:
>
> > > Ok, if I could get instructions on getting this Best Data modem
> > > working
> > > on Kubuntu I think I would be content for a while.
> > > <smile>.  The wizard would not appear and so I'm lost as to how to
> > > install this thing although I haven't tried putting the CD
> > > that came with the modem in the CD drive to see what happens.  I'll
> > > maybe try that next.

Since Ubuntu is based on Debian, there are a lot of tools available to
help you get your modem configured.  One thing, though.  You need to
give us details so that we can direct you to the right tool for the
job.

On 10/12/06, Billy049 <Billy049 at peoplepc.com> wrote:
> Yes, it is external.  It set up and worked well under Ubuntu but
> Kubuntu is not seeing it.  Maybe I'll just go back to Ubuntu.
>
> Bill

Now don't give up.  It sounds like your modem should work on just
about any linux distribution.  I am going to assume (from your email
address) that you dial-up to connect to the internet.  Kubuntu comes
with KPPP as the default KDE application for this setting up your
connection.  You may have hit a known snag with the program that will
require you to edit the /etc/resolv.conf file.  KPPP has a wizard, but
it's pretty much useless to us here in the States.  If you really want
to find a solution and use KPPP, you can browse the trouble-shooting
section of the help menu.

My recommendation is pppconfig:

1. From the K menu either select System > Konsole (Terminal Program)
or choose Run Command and type "konsole".
2. At the command prompt, $, type "sudo pppconfig" and enter.
3. Follow the Wizard.

Here's a quick link to the section of Ubuntu wiki that covers pppconfig:

http://tinyurl.com/yboucz

-- Paul Boren