[ale] My Linux experience, so far

Dow_Hurst dhurst at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 8 23:28:52 EDT 2006

Glad to hear your experimenting.  I think you be pleased in the end with some distro.  Everyone has their favorite.  Typically the polish of the scripts and programs that make hardware seamless makes a big impression on users.  Hackers tend to like install/uninstall ease.  And, I think everyone over a certain age believes you should try Slackware....

Just kidding around there. ;)

Seriously though, trying Ubuntu is great and gives you the feel of a polished Debian with lots of bells, whistles, and eye candy.  You should try out Centos, Redhat, or Novell/Suse for a rpm based experience.  Maybe Gentoo would be interesting as well for the "compile it yourway" type of distro.

Demo Codeweavers CXoffice if you want to try out a Windows application in a Linux environment.

Most laptops are difficult to have work well out of the box for any distro.  So unless you have very common older hardware you will have some real problems.  Centrino based laptops with Intel graphics or Nvidia graphics tend to do okay.  Extra non opensource software could be available for Ubuntu that would make a difference.  Loading a later kernel can make a huge difference on a laptop.

Please post any questions or problems you might run into as lot's of people here love to solve problems!
Best wishes,
Dow