[ale] Building the perfect Linux end-user systems.

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Sat Oct 7 12:22:39 EDT 2006

I'm not a hard-core linux hacker, and I don't use windows in any form, so Linux is my sole productivity tool.  I have to have stuff that just works.

I almost never have to worry about dependency issues.  If I had to work at getting my platform to work rather than using my platform to work, then I would look elsewhere, but I haven't had to.  When I have tried other distros, I have never found one as easy to use and support.

-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
http://www.eastcobbgroup.com

James Taylor wrote:

> At the risk of starting a distro-war, SuSE has been the distro that
> I've used because almost everything I've ever wanted to do has "just
> worked" out of the box, or has has had distro-specifice RPMs
> immediately available.
>
> I see a lot of traffic relative to Ubuntu that revolves around how to
> get things to work that I just use out of the box.

I suppose that I need to pay better attention -- most of my stuff just
works.  Including my WiFi (which I have never seen happen until I tried
this).  In any case, I will never use an RPM-based distribution again;
RPM is burdened with issues.  I recently saw someone using an RPM based
distribution, it told them it was time to upgrade, and an hour later it
finally finished calculating dependencies -- and it was missing one.

No, thanks.  I'll take no packages at all before I will take RPMs ever
again.  It is a shame, IMHO, that LSB made RPM the standard, and not
DEB/dpkg.

	-- Mike

Michael B. Trausch <fd0man at gmail.com> - Jabber: fd0man at livejournal.com

Demand freedom: Use open and free protocols, standards, and software.