[ale] Building the perfect Linux end-user systems.

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Sat Oct 7 11:58:22 EDT 2006

At the risk of starting a distro-war, SuSE has been the distro that I've used because almost everything I've ever wanted to do has "just worked" out of the box, or has has had distro-specifice RPMs immediately available.

I see a lot of traffic relative to Ubuntu that revolves around how to get things to work that I just use out of the box.

-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
http://www.eastcobbgroup.com

Dow_Hurst wrote:

> There are lots of good Linux games you can offer preloaded for a
> price.  Some are even opensource like TuxRacer, FrozenBubble, and
> TORCs.  You could offer Quake Arena, Unreal Tournament, Civilization:
> Call to Power, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and so on for an addon
> price.  Search these links:
>
> www.tuxgames.com www.linuxgamepublishing.com
>
> to start out.  All the cool card games are fun for many but those
> links will get the hardcore 3D games.  I'll help you with the nvidia
> driver install and updates on your systems.  Just email me any
> questions since I've dealt with nvidia for a long time with Suse and
> Centos.  Mainly I've found that the most reliable method in the past
> was to include in any kernel upgrade these steps:
>
> make sure your system has the kernel source vi /etc/inittab and set
> the default boot level to 3 Reboot with the new kernel Rerun the
> nvidia installer package to rebuild the module. init 5 when done to
> double check it works fix /etc/inittab back to boot to runlevel 5
>
> So far I've not had problems doing this with Suse 8.x thru 10.x or
> Centos 4.x.
>
> Hope this helps, Dow

Thanks for this and your previous comments in the last e-mail.  I will
have to look into this stuff.  Ubuntu is the platform that I am looking
at putting on the systems, mostly because I know that I can sell that
and it will "just work" for the tasks that people need to do for school
and work and the like.

Right now, my friend and I are just looking at options, and it's
possible that we might have to figure out changes at the distribution
level or something.  I have, however, been very satisfied with my Ubuntu
install on my laptop (a Toshiba Satellite -- hardware completely supported).

Unfortunately, one thing that I know that we could not do, at least at
this point, would be to provide the level of support that EmperorLinux
provides on their machines.  They have programmers that are able to
create drivers and the like for the models of machines that they
support, and so they have a beefed up kernel that they use for things.
I wouldn't be able to do that; so I am more or less looking for what my
options would be for what I can get, stock.

	-- Mike

Michael B. Trausch <fd0man at gmail.com> - Jabber: fd0man at livejournal.com

Demand freedom: Use open and free protocols, standards, and software.