[ale] vi foo

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 20:35:35 EDT 2006

Robert L. Harris wrote:

> I get into enough trouble with my perl scripting.  Tacking emacs on top
> of that would cause me a complete breakdown.

The biggest advantages to emacs are the plugins that it comes with.  The
current CVS version has support for a *lot* of things that I couldn't
fathom doing in vi.  One of the projects that I am working on at the
moment has a fair lot of files, in different languages.  vi can handle
that just fine.  However, what vi cannot seem to handle (and I could be
wrong on this) is working with those files in a CM repository.  I store
my projects in a Subversion repository, and I rarely ever have to open a
shell to work with it -- I can just type a command in emacs, and it will
check my changes in, after prompting me for a log entry for the
change... quite convenient, that!

	-- Mike

Michael B. Trausch <fd0man at gmail.com> - Jabber: fd0man at livejournal.com

Demand freedom: Use open and free protocols, standards, and software.