[ale] New Mailing List ... the thread that wouldn't die(because it is relevant & important)

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Thu Oct 5 10:17:45 EDT 2006

Geoffrey wrote:
> I believe this will happen.  I wish ALE WAS focused 'on helping those in
> the community and generating Linux awareness.'  It once was.  Still is
> for the most part, but as I noted, the noise level has gotten too much.
>   I don't even mind the technical unrelated questions, it's the on topic
> stuff that gets dragged off topic, the ridiculous back and forth one
> line threads that are simply useless, and above all, the rhetoric some
> people choose to use.  The injection of politics in on topic stuff, for
> the sake of evangelizing one's personal agenda.

I subscribe to another mailing list that has a sense of community much
like this one.  The list administrator is very good about "reminding"
users when they overstep the rules.  I don't think he's ever barred
anyone but he does a good job of squashing in appropriate behavior.  It
works quite well over there.  On that list, the topic that gets out of
control quickly has to do with abuse of police powers by some.  I'm not
suggesting our list admin here isn't doing his job, I was just
suggesting that it works for that list and it might for us.  Even if it
wasn't the list admin, maybe we could all agree on electing someone to
passively moderate us in a similar manner?

Jim.