[ale] New Mailing List ... the thread that wouldn't die(because it is relevant & important)

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Wed Oct 4 08:11:31 EDT 2006

Your statistics are apt to be flawed because many of the on topic posts
end up becoming off topic and the off topic nature of the subsequent
posts in a thread isn't clear from the subject.  Searching by subject
would not reveal that.

I also disagree with the "foredrawn conclusion".  While it was clear
that Jerald obviously was in favor of splitting the list he DID raise it
as a question rather than simply stating "here's what we're going to do
so live with it".

Again I mention that I am against splitting the list.

It is not clear to me however why simply discussing the idea should
bring such vitriol and suggestions of background scheming.  It is one
thing to be for or against an idea but quite another to attack the
presenter of the idea rather than discuss the merits or lack thereof of
the idea.  I doubt Jerald intended to hijack the list and I certainly
didn't when I brought it up at AUUG and noted it here.  As noted in a
prior post my questions at AUUG were impromptu and occurred to me only
because of this thread and the fact we had just been discussing Linux
things at AUUG.

Luckily this morning James Kinney has agreed to come back.  Hopefully
Jerald will as well.  Even if we don't all agree one would hope we could
all have meaningful discussions from time to time.