[ale] "New" laptop with Ubuntu

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon Oct 2 09:25:13 EDT 2006

I get to go out of town to start grandpappy duties next
week, so I treated myself to a used ThinkPad T22 and loaded
Ubuntu onto it over the weekend. So far, I'm quite
impressed with the system as the developers have shown the
restraint that this system needs and not thrown the kitchen
sink at it. Nice and clean.

However, I'm running out of time to get the last few items
straightened out. I'm starting to run out of time for
google supported trial and error.

Most worrysome is a firewall. So far, I've been playing
around behing my firewalled router, so no big deal. While
I'd love to have a high dollar, hand crafted, optimized set
of rules for this thing, I'll settle for a configuration
tool which is cheap and quick, sort of like the default
system the Fedora installer runs up. Any opinions from the
Ubuntu enthusiasts here?

The other big challenge is to get wireless cleaned up.
Since I don't use wireless here at home, the skills are a
little shakey. I _think_ I've gotten a NetGear MA111 usb
dongle properly recognized and ready to configure. What I'd
like next is a nice little browser to search for access
points rather like my little Nokia 770 has.

Those are the two items I _really_ want to get straight
before I get going.

Thanks in advance for your attention and help. And I
apreciate the loan of everybody's bandwidth