[ale] New Mailing List initiatives for ALE

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Sun Oct 1 06:09:26 EDT 2006

Mark Wright wrote:
> I totally agree with Jim.  (Well the part about being funny is still
> being considered.)
>
> I like the "fellowship" of like minded individuals here.  I think
> most people here are the kind of folks I would hang out with at
> work.  And the topics, even the immature, irrelevant ones would be
> the stuff of our face to face conversations too.  They might not last
> as long as they may be quelled with a few disapproving looks but this
> is email.  We (the faithful) may have to put up with people joining
> that will be unruly for a season but as Jim has pointed out there are
> ways of handling this.
>
>   Changing to moderation will definitely be destructive.

I agree with both Mark and Jim to some degree. I think we should try to
limit the really off topic stuff that stirs up destructive emotions,
like politics. However I find this group to the the greatest collection
of technical minds I've ever come across, so I'm guilty of asking off
topic questions on non Linux but technical questions on computers,
electronics, etc. just because this group has such a vast knowledge of
those things. If I could find another mail list/forum/newsgroup/whatever
like it with a broader charter, I'd go there, but I don't. :(.

So I hope we don't restrict this valuable resource too much... Please?

Thanks,
Jim.