[ale] preventing trojans/bots

H. A. Story adrin at bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 24 12:22:12 EST 2006

I turned off quoting.  but here it goes.

This is my experience.

 The copy of free AVG that I am using will still prompt you.  the version 7.XX I am using doesn't appear to detect all Spyware / Adware.  My general thought is that it is not consider a virus. They do have a trail version spyware/adware tool that is very good. ewido I think is the name.  I have used clamwin and like it also.  You can set it up to send you alerts through email.  Clamwin requires cgywin, I have found that my version takes longer and longer to to weekly or daily scans, over 10 hours to do a scan on less than 40Gig, don't know why.  Windows defender seems to work okay so far.  It will bug the hell out of you on every startup though if you have a program you want to ignore, say VNC. The truth though is for every new application or update that comes out to stop someone. Something new comes out to get around it.

I think by far the best thing you can do in most cases is about a 30 minute educational class. When not to click and if they are not sure about something, use google to get answers.  Setting IE to clear the cache on exit and setting the size really small. The new version of Norton 2007 goes a long way to block scripting and a viruses,  but you still get the prompts, and even more now.  I find them annoying.

With that in mind.
Only giving users, users access, (Yeah this breaks some applications.).  You can also play with mandatory profiles, these are cool to screw with people.

Adrin