[ale] Donated computers

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 10:58:16 EST 2006

Christopher Fowler wrote:
<snipped>
> My thought is that these computers feel like circa 1998 machines.  I
> could treat them as such.  They could load Win98 on them and then find
> educational software from around that time that is compatible and run
> that.  As long as the machine is good they will be in good shape.

oh! oh! how about Slackware 3.5? I think I have that here somewhere...
or even Red Hat 6.2 (have 5.2 also...)?

I've not paid attention to what your disto preference is (are you the
Fedora fanatic?), but if you are open to Ubuntu then maybe Debian
"Woody" would be good (with backports if needed), especially with an
extremely light WM (Fluxbox or maybe XFCE).  I have it installed on an
old Compaq 133mhz 32mb.  It runs a 2.4 kernel (I don't need 2.6 for
this), Fluxbox, GKrellum, etc. and works very well.  not to mention it
being easy to manage.

It would be interesting to see if DSL installed to the HD would suit
this also.  From my understanding, it installs as a Debian system.  I've
not played with it, but would be more than willing to let you try it and
tell me about it later. ;-)