[ale] Xubuntu automounter

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 14:57:57 EST 2006

I'm not sure I've seen this in a Linux distro before. IIRC, KDE does a
similar task where when you click on the icon it checks to see if it can
mount the drive. I do recall BeOS auto checking the buses periodically to
see if they had anything interesting on them, and then automounting, but
it's the only OS I've used that does automounting other than Mac OS.

Warren

On 11/14/06, Sean Kilpatrick <drifter at oppositelock.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 14 November 2006 13:23, cfowler wrote:
> | Acutally I figured this one out. I'm not sure I like the behavior
> | though. It will show an icon on the desktop. When you click it then
> | the mount will occur. I would prefer if the mount was automatic when
> | media is inserted.
>
> I am presuming that when you click on the icon, the device is
> mounted and a "window" opens.  When you close the window is the
> device automagically unmounted? Or is the device mounted when the
> icon appears on the desktop?
> My problem is with the unmount.  On my FC3 box udev will mount the
> USB device but I have to use the command line to verify that it is
> unmounted before unplugging.  Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't.
>

> Sean

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erd?s
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2