[ale] safely stop external USB drive from Linux

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 17:14:07 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 15:20 -0500, Jerry Yu wrote:

> this doesn't stop device from receiving eletric power from the port.
> windows's 'safe stop' would cause the power indicator to go off on my
> kingstong flash drive.

Interesting.  There is, under GNOME, an "Eject" option for USB media
that might do what you're looking for.  But, as far as I am aware, USB
was designed with plugging/unplugging with the power on in mind; things
get electricity right after you plug them in, for example.

    -- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
   Jabber IM: fd0man at livejournal.com

Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!