[ale] Interesting note from the Wall Street Journal today

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Nov 6 23:56:24 EST 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 11:04 -0500, Bob Toxen wrote:
> Methinks that if M$ wanted to destroy Linux (beyond its FUD, politicing,
> and incompatibility efforts) it would buy the largest Distro, Red Hat,
> and shut it down.  If the other poster's estimate of $3B is correct,
> that's a drop in the ocean for M$ and its ROI would pay for it within a
> year.
>
> I think, instead, that our World Domination efforts have paid off.
> Linux is popular enough that M$'s anti-interoperability is starting to
> backfire with major clients threatening to dump M$ entirely if it does
> not play nice with Linux.  By picking a smaller vendor but one popular
> in Europe, M$ still weakens Red Hat.

Good point. But I am cynical enough to see it from a different
standpoint:

M$ funded the SCO debacle. They thought they could shut down Linux that
way. But during the mess, it was revealed that the code SCO is claiming
they "own" and thus is the core of the infringement is actually "owned"
by Novell. Thus the M$ interest in Novell is not so much to sway it's
big buyers into placation by actually offering better interoperability.
If they are able to leverage a strategic partnership into a co-ownership
of Novell code, they can require a license fee for the use of that code
and effectively shut down RedHat and everyone else. Thus M$ can then
claim the interoperability issue is _caused_ by Linux as they have
"stolen" M$ property.

I had another part to this argument but I'm too tired to recall it right
now.