[ale] RHEL 4 on HP Integrity (ia64)

Vernard Martin vernard at venger.net
Mon Nov 6 11:54:44 EST 2006

Lane Oden wrote:
> Hey AlErs...
>
> I'm relatively new to the list and this is my first post...
>
> Anyone here have any experience with RHEL4 (or any of its clones) on ia64?
>
> I downloaded media from RH the other day (official media kit is currently in
> transit). When the EFI boot starts the DVD drive, elilo starts, loads the
> kernel and ram disk... and then nothing...
>
> >From all the hp/RH documentation I've seen to this point, if it detects a
> video card, it should default to that as its standard output device. But
> I've even tried booting linux and linux test from the elilo prompt with no
> change in behavior. The machine doesn't appear to have stopped responding. I
> just can't find the output.
>
> Sound familiar to anyone?

I'm using RHEL4.4 on a Dell Itanimum system. I had no issues installing
form the media but I installed from CD media instead of DVD media.

Check the BIOS of your unit and see if it has console redirection turned
on. I've seen some Dell units that won't display anything on the VGA
output if that console redirection is enabled.

On a related note, I don't recommend using Itanium machines for any
applications unless you either 1) are writing your own code that does
tons of floating point operations so that your compiler can optimize for
the Itanium architecture or 2) you are using third party software that
is specifically optimized for the Itanium architecture.