[ale] recommendations on external USB drive for Linux, pls

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 09:55:18 EST 2006

On 11/2/06, Jerry Yu <jjj863 at gmail.com> wrote:
> interesting. what kind of support in the kernel and os for "SATA II Hard
> Drive with perpendicular recording technology" ?

I don't think that requires specific OS level support beyond SATA.

The perpendicular part is all self-contained in the drive, and SATA II
AFAIK is just a faster version of SATA, so that is handled in the
controller hardware/firmware.

There may be some small issues in hdparm etc. with reporting the
speed/interface correctly, but that should not impact general use of
that class drive.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer