[ale] Thunderbird vs Evolution

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 1 21:25:16 EST 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 17:39 -0500, Jim Philips wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 November 2006 15:54, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> > >
> > > what about Kontact and/or Subird?
> >
> > Those are indeed calendars, but I never could get an integrated mail
> > +calendar (ala Notes or Outlook) outside of Evolution.
> >
> > -Jim P.
>
> In what way is Kontact's calendar not integrated with e-mail?

I don't know about Kontact... but here is what I mean by integrated:

When receiving emailed iCal appointment schedules, the integrated
calendar should be able (without much effort) to import the calendar
info, provide a daily/weekly/monthy printable view, and remind the user,
via different methods, of soon-to-happen meetings, conf calls,
appointments, tasks... without having to run the email or calendar
application all the time, as well as working between reboots without
needing to re-launch either email or calendar application.

Evolution does all of the above, by itself, seamlessly, and silently
(unless it is notifying me of something).

What Evolution doesn't do, that I like in Thunderbird is allow me to
right-click (and only right-click ) and select the proper spelling for a
word I am typing in an email.  Yes, all those extra clicks needed in
Evolution do waste some time.   Also, Thunderbird has a better search
interface for email within a folder, as well as the ability to
right-click on an email address and select "Copy", something I can
imagine why Evolution would leave that out.

-Jim P.