[ale] inode change after vi a file ?

Doug McNash dmcnash at charter.net
Fri Mar 31 17:20:06 EST 2006

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Chris Ricker wrote:

> it's vim, and it's a feature. Doing all the changes in a temp file then
> renaming it gives you more change for recovery to a sane state if
> something goes wrong....
>
> AT & T vi doesn't do that, BTW. Don't know about the other vi
> implementations (nvi, for example)

Indeed, it is vim and not vi.
If you want vi -
 :set compatable
and the inode stays the same (in my limited testing.)
Vim was driving me crazy til i found this option.

EXXXXXXTRA CREDITXXXXXXXXXXXX
Just to make things interesting, make a hard link to blah and edit in nocp
mode.
[doug at NEXUS doug]$ ln blah xxx
[doug at NEXUS doug]$  date > blah; ls -i blah; vi blah; ls -i blah; vi blah;
ls -i blah
 279171 blah
 279171 blah
 279171 blah