[ale] upcoming mythtv presentation: Jesse needs a topic

Steve Hamlin hamlinsg at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 15:03:15 EST 2006

Jesse,

Just a few thoughts - I think you can get an hour out of the below  :)

MythTV questions I've run across in my not-too-uncommon setup (I think).

I'll plug my questions first (A), then other generic topics (B-F)

--- --- ---

(A)  Combining a Myth installation with a normal desktop, on multiple
screens:

I'm 75% there with a intergrated front/backend Myth setup - can't schedule
recordings, no LIRC yet, but UI and TV works.  With mythfrontend as a normal
X app on your desktop login, no problems.

However, some advanced things I'd like to find out about, if you have the
time at the presentation.

 (1) issues of users logging in and out of X on desktop LCD vs. constant
mythfrontend on TV (dedicated Myth user X session?)
 (2) If a single X session, then 1 large shared screen (:0.1 at 2048X768)
vs. 2 separate screens (:0.1, :0.2, each at 1024x768)) ?
 (3) Window manager tips, TwinView vs. Xinerama, and MythTV
 (4)  Mouse vs. Remote control when in 1one X session.

I'm trying to get working:  ATI running main desktop on 2 displays
(Xinerma); NVidia running mythfrontend on TVout, all on 1 computer.

 (5) 2 users on 1 PC, each with one Xsession on a separate video card -
doable?  This seems to be optimum, if possible:  a permanent X session
running Myth
 (6)  How do you start an different X session on a second video card? How to
manage this with a single /etc/X11/xorg.conf ?   A brief search implies
hacks to get multi-user local X sessions
 (7) any way to get Xorg "ati" driver with hardware acceleration to work
with NVidia proprietary driver?  OpenGL conflicts, that's for sure.
Multiple xorg.conf 's ?

--- --- ---

Other Possible Items for Discussion:

(B)  Anyone with the Comcast DVRs got video off it?  Supposedly, under FCC
regs, they are supposed to allow Firewire export of video.  Lots of stuff
online about the Motorola DCT6412, which Comcast uses.

(C)  Tuner card selection: "Audience, just get a Hauppauge PVR-xx0, and see
the IVTV driver page for details".  Or hardware vs. software encoding,
performance requirements,.

(D) Video card selection:  driver availability, hardware acceleration, XvMC,
TV Out, mutlihead (DVI-I/D, Dsub)

(E) Brief explanation of how to take a default MythTV install (with
intergrated front/backend) and either add a frontend, or separate the
front/backend.  MySQL network access config changes, MythTV tweaks, NFS/SMB
issues?, wireless performance

(F)  Other Myth plugins that would pique people's interest beyond "TV" -
weather, playing networked media , netflix, games

(G)  Some background on MythGame (as I know nothing).  How to get the ROMs,
how to get joystick up in X and how this works with the mouse, what kind of
joystick to get.

(H)  Filesystem selection and configuration:
 (1) I did a bit of research on filesystem selection for a Myth box, and it
seems to make a huge difference in performance because Myth is often bound
by multi-GB file read, write and DELETE performance.
 (2) Hints you may have for new Myth users:  XFS vs JFS vs. ext3 vs.
Reiser(no!); mkfs.XXX options for best performance
 (3) Thoughts about simple partitioning vs. LVM

(I)  Video formats, transcoding, commercial skipping, DVD/VCDs.   (good
article in the recent Linux Journal featuring MythTV about how to create DVD
menus in linux)