[ale] Q: How to get minimal bloat while unpacking tarball?

Mills, John M. Mills.J at ems-t.com
Tue Mar 28 15:11:28 EST 2006

Christopher -

Good thought, but I'm installing from a either a USB stick or a
NFS-export from another box.

How about transient storage - does tar z... expand into some local
space? The partition that's filling isn't /tmp, though. (Actually I can
test that by un-tarring an _uncompressed_ tar file, and I will.)

Thanks.

- Mills