[ale] OT: music sites?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Mar 28 08:04:01 EST 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 21:52 -0500, Geoffrey wrote:

> I did have a short discussion with someone else offline where we will
> swap stuff we've already ripped as long as we provide proof that we have
>   legal claim to the music.  That is, he'll give me his 'soul deep' cut
> when I prove I've already got the album.  Sounds fair and legal to me.
> Maybe we need to have a music swap meet?  Wonder if the RIAA would approve?

Maybe what is needed is a site where people can post a picture of the
old album cover and then download that album in digital format.

As I see it (IANAL {and don't want to be one}) you have proved you have
the right to have a backup copy under fair use laws.

The download service could charge a fee for time and equipment used to
digitize the album and make the site available.

I'm certain the RIAA would NOT see it this way as they are actively
supporting the development of music media that self destructs after a
given number of playings and thus forcing you to buy another copy.

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>