[ale] covad VoIP down...

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 23:14:50 EST 2006

Christopher Fowler wrote:

> I've lived in Buford since 1999.  Not one outage on POTs.  I'm not
> against VOIP.  I'm against VOIP as a primary means of communication.   I

I sort-of agree with that argument.  I looked into VoIP as a primary
means of communication with my home service, and am using it as such,
but not without backup, because at present, I have no redundancy setup.
  I think the key with using VoIP is to have redundancy --- for example,
to have * running at home, I'd ideally use two or three really
inexpensive providers that I could have * use for routing my calls.  If
the really super-cheap one goes out, then it could use the one that's
slightly more expensive or whatever.  I'd looked into this at some point
in December/January, and it's feasible, though I didn't at that time
(and do not, at this time) have the cash flow to get such a system in
place, because my current employment situation, frankly, sucks.

All of that being said, at when it comes to home use, I'm finding that
SunRocket is really a valuable resource, FYI to anybody looking.  I like
the arrangement, and I've only found one "quirk" with their service,
which should actually be resolved as of tomorrow, I'm told.

	Later,
	Mike