[ale] OT: music sites?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Mar 27 21:52:56 EST 2006

j.t. holmes wrote:
> You and I seem to have the exact same taste in old music.
> I noticed that none of the replys addressed the original question, at
> least those that I read.
> So if you find the place to purchase single titles please let me know
> via personal email

I've really not had much luck.  The one site that looked promising was
http://www.allofmp3.com

The prices just looked too cheap though.  If you read the Terms of Use
you'll see the following:

'Copyright

The availability over the Internet of the ALLOFMP3.com materials is
authorized by the license # LS-3?-05-03 of the Russian Multimedia and
Internet Society (ROMS) and license # 006/3M-05 of the Rightholders
Federation for Collective Copyright Management of Works Used
Interactively (FAIR). Under the licenses' terms, MediaServices pays
license fees for all materials downloaded from the site subject to the
Law of the Russian Federation "On Copyright and Related Rights". All
these materials are solely for personal use. Any further distribution,
resale or broadcasting are prohibited.'

I don't believe this is a legal site to purchase music, at least if you
are in the United States.  As I noted, the prices are too good.

The frustrating thing is, a lot of the music I'm looking for, I can't
even find on cd, otherwise I'd simply purchase it and then rip it.

I even checked out the RIAA's site www.musicunited.org which lists a
bunch of 'legit' sites to purchase music.  These sites have any of the
following problems:

1. subscription only
2. windows only (wma drm)
3. lousy choice of cuts
4. only sell cds

I guess I'm going to be back to getting the old turntable fixed and
going that route.

I did have a short discussion with someone else offline where we will
swap stuff we've already ripped as long as we provide proof that we have
  legal claim to the music.  That is, he'll give me his 'soul deep' cut
when I prove I've already got the album.  Sounds fair and legal to me.
Maybe we need to have a music swap meet?  Wonder if the RIAA would approve?

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin