[ale] OT: music sites?

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Sat Mar 25 10:05:14 EST 2006

Geoffrey wrote:
>> a better than good point; the source is irrelevant in this case, since
>> you've already paid for your license.
>
> Is it though?  I mean, I really don't know how the law looks at this.
> Seems to me the RIAA (and MPAA) are more likely to have you in chains
> and ask questions later.

At this point, I am pretty sure it is a legal grey area.  Fair use lets
you make personal copies, I don't believe it is terribly specific about
where they come from.  From your point of view, I don't think it has
gone to court either way.

> I don't know of any sites that provide free music by way of verifying
> you've already purchased it. IANALTG, but I don't even want to approach
> the line of illegality, much less tip toe across and back for the sake
> of philosophical principles.

There used to be a service that made you put the CD in the drive to
verify that you owned the title.  I believe it would then let you access
the tracks any time.  I forget who the company was, and I believe they
were forced to shut down.

That is the wrong side of this, though.  On the receiving end, there
shouldn't be any reason to have to prove that you aren't breaking the
law.  If someone really wants to try, they should have to prove that you
are.

>  From that perspective, anyone know where one might take an older (say
> 20+ years) turntable for maintenance?  It paid around $400 back then, so
> I'd expect it's worth the effort.

I'm too young for this, I just used to use cassette tapes :p.

Pat