[ale] suddenly finding computer 'seized-up'....ATTN:DowHurst-2

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Thu Mar 23 10:44:34 EST 2006

>The box is a few years old, runs about 900 mhz, has about 320MB ram and has
>a 200GB drive which is not run from the onboard sockets but as a pseudo-scsi
>connection from a Promise card. When I tried to switch it to the motherboard
>sockets I got even more errors so I'm assuming it's the HD, a Seagate that
>has about 5 more yrs. warranty.

If the Promise card is a bad actor, i.e., it's not failing but what it
does is improper, then it may be horking up the filesystem - and the
horking would persist or could even worsen if you connected the drive to
an onboard controller.  Before going through the drive RMA hassle, why
don't you leave it connected to the onboard controller and give it a
good pounding first?

Jeff